Old 08-16-08, 05:56 PM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supercub
I'm sure there are faster (quicker feeling) bikes in that price range, if that's your main criteria.
In retrospect I could have explained more, I just didn't want to get wordy. The reasons I don't keep commuting on my road bike are many. I'm getting flats with the skinny tires (I'm about 6'5" and 190 lbs) so I want to have 700x28 tires. I also don't want to put too much wear and tear on my road bike. Mostly I love the idea of the simplicity of the single speed/fixed gear in terms of maintenance. I'm tired of all the time I spend adjusting/maintaining my bikes. My commute can be tough on bikes. So I want a middle ground, I want to go as fast as I can and be as aggressive as I can while not having to worry much about durability, maintenance, and flats. Meaning I don't want a typical track bike/fixed gear with skinny tires and no brakes. The 925 seems like a good compromise, but I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by cc700
road bike is WAY faster if you're even trying. the 925 will feel more like a road bike than a hybrid but it won't be as fast without gearing changes.
I know the gearing of a road bike versus SS/FG makes a huge difference. I guess the essence of the question is this: is the 925 more like a road bike made into a SS/FG or a hybrid bike made to be a SS/FG?