Old 08-17-08, 09:56 AM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen one at the LBS a few months ago. It certainly *looks* rugged, if not drop-dead ugly in a beautiful sort of way

The handlebars are more or less standard "trekking", or "butterfly" bars. Many people on these forums seem to like these kind of bars, and they do look to be rather functional. Many usable hand positions!

I'm a little dubious of the racks, though. There are little "wings" that fold up making the platform of each rack huge. Seems like a good idea, but I've never really seen anyone use a rack in this fashion. It might make pizza delivery more feasible, I suppose. Also, the rear rack is terribly non-standard. One can see from the pictures that the bottom struts connect somewhat far up the seatstays, rather than at the dropouts. This itself is not a terrible problem per se, but there doesn't seem to be a place to connect a standard pannier bungee hook. Also, the rack tubing seems to be too thick for many pannier hook systems in general, not to mention probable heel-strike issues.

My overall impression with the bike, after seeing it in person, was that it is an interesting concept but with poor execution. IMO, someone would be better served by buying a rigid MTB or hybrid and decking *that* out with "normal" racks and trekking bars.