Old 08-18-08, 03:01 AM
mesasone

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 7.2fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Long Haul Trucker

Well, I finally got around to get some pictures of my Long Haul Trucker... I've had it for about a month now. Up until this weekend, my LHT looked almost exactly like every other utility blue LHT, however this weekend I put on elk Hide handlebar covers from Velo Orange. It took me about six or seven hours to get them sewn on - as it turns out, I'm not especially handy with a needle. The mixed lighting(my flash and the CFLs in my kitchen) was kind of a PITA, so the color balance isn't quite right. I will try to get some proper pictures (outside hopefully) later this week.

I haven't quite figured out how to adjust the angle on my saddle yet. It's comfortable enough as it is, but it looks silly when I take a picture of it.

They match the honey Brooks very well once treated with proofide... they soak up that stuff like a sponge. The first image is comparing the treated handlebars with a piece of the extra elk hide. The second is a second piece of elk hide I put a little proofide on to compare to the saddle. The handle bars are a bit darker as I was more liberal with the proofide. I think the most fun part was applying the proofide and massaging it into the elk hide... that stuff is like character in a tin. The leather took on new life immediately.

Despite all the effort that went into putting this on, I'm actually thinking of taking it off and starting over. I don't think it provides enough padding on it's own, and would like to get a cotton wrap underneath. Also, I am thinking about getting a set of extra long cables so I can route the shifters under the wrap and clean it up a bit. If I do this, I will probably just order a new pair of the covers, cut them to length and pre-cut the lever opening, and then use the old ones for hood covers... I have a few ideas on how to do this. Also, it seems that the bottom of the left side of the handlebar covers is a bit wider than the rest, and as such is a bit loose, which I don't like. It was a lot of work getting these on though!

Finally, a picture of my lighting... reminds me of Johny number 5 from the Short Circuit movies.