Old 08-18-08, 12:43 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhester
Hey From Brentwood!! I live about 10 mins from Nashville, and I ride a Gunnar Roadie for group rides and a Trek Navigator for getting around town and running errands. I just ordered the Free Radical Xtacycle to attach to it so be on the look-out. I also just ordered a Trikke.

My current issue: Is Franklin Road safe to ride on at night? I want to commute to Columbia State Community College (Franklin Campus) on Tue and Thurs nights this fall. I think Hillsboro Road is out of the question due to it being too "scary" for a lone female at night and the distance that route would tack on. From my house it will be 9 miles (18 round trip) if I take Franklin Road. Is this a suicide mission? (I will be on the Trek) I plan to put the "Down-Low-Glow" on it that comes with the Xtracycle.
Franklin Road is pretty busy and the traffic moves fast. I am on there some Saturday mornings between Mack Hatcher and Lynwood way if I have that hill in my sites for the day. The stretch between Franklin & Brentwood would be pretty "safe" if you are talking about what kind of areas it runs through. All pretty middle class + areas. Plus a good amount of it is 4 lane with a pretty good shoulder so there SHOULD be enough room for you and the traffic as long as you are lit up well enough. I would just be EXTRA careful at some of the bigger intersections and make sure you enforce your lane positions so there is no confusion where you are going in those intersections. I could see some right hook potential on that route if you are not careful.

What time would you be riding? If you will be riding it significantly after rush hour the traffic volume would be much less.

Of course there are some other options. You could go up and down over the hills and not spend as much time on Franklin Road or Hillsboro road. Plus you'd get some hill climbing in