Old 08-19-08, 05:40 AM
davidcl1

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought new Trek Madone, but curious about setup.

Question for anyone who is familiar with the setup of a bike. I am a 47 year old guy. Pretty active, but I have lower back pain- pretty bad sometimes. However, I am not ready to give up my beloved road bikes. I went to a bike shop and made it clear that I need a road bike with a less aggressive riding position, ie. more upright because of my back. I really liked the Trek Madone 5.2. However, I did not spend enough time researching it. The salespeople were all over me. They sat me on it and told me that they could make it fit perfect if they just changed the handlebar stem. They did, and I took it for a ride, and it felt great. So the next day I bought it. (Note, they added a 100mm stem with 15 degree rise to get it into the right position).
After bringing it home, not having taken it for a ride yet, I noticed that on the underside it was listed as a Madone 5.2 Sport, which means that it by default has a more aggressive rider position. The more I thought about it and researched, I found that the regular Madone 5.2 has a 30mm larger head tube specifically for a more upright ride. I am wondering, it had to take some jacking up to get the sport model handlebar position correct. How much will that affect the geometry of the bike? Would I be better off, before I start riding this thing, to take it back and say order me the regular Madone with 30mm more head tube so I won't need a special stem which might throw the geometry off a bit? Am I being too paranoid? The bike costs $3500. I want it to fit with as little deviation from the original geometry as possible. What do you think?