Old 08-19-08, 07:18 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
The super light stuff is fine if you have deep pockets or a sponsor but most folks aren't looking for a 17 pound road bike or 24 pound mountain bike so the biggest improvements seem to be for recreational and utilitarian cyclists...

Indexed shifters and disc brakes have been around for a long time although indexed systems have only been in the mainstream since the eighties when Shimano was finally able to use the technology when Suntour's patents expired.

I am still a fan of well made friction shifters since they are a far simnpler and less problematic system than most, if not all indexed systems.

Disc brakes are wonderful things that have really come of age and are now appearing on more and more entry level bikes rather than just high end mountain bikes...

The improved internal gear hubs we are seeing now could very well render derailer gears as being all but obsolete...

Kevlar... one of the best thigs for tyres ever.

My perfect bike would have brifters that were friction only, disc brakes, puncture proof tyres, and an internal gear hub with a wide range and off road capability.