Old 08-20-08, 06:41 AM
Petoskey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One more thing - just to avoid learning the hard way - what's your experience with the front suspension bikes on mild off road (fire roads, that sort of thing)?
I'm anxious for someone to answer this question. I'm currently wondering if I should order the Downtube 8H (front suspension only) or the 8FH (full suspension) for the same type of riding - mild off road outings. I've decided that it's too dangerous to take the dog with me on the local bike path, after reading some of the related threads on this forum, so off road it is! I've also given up on thinking one bike could do everything (beach bike dilemma), so now I'm just looking for the ideal folder to use on a very lightly traveled "trail" (dirt road) that follows a river near my home. I'm similar in size to the OP, just slightly taller (5'9").

I've been previously warned about the high gearing on the Downtubes, and will follow earlier suggestions to help reduce the gear inches to a more useful range for a newbie. Would these internally hubbed bikes be the best options for my intended use? The 8H has the fender/rack/kickstand options that are not included on the 8FH, but perhaps the full suspension more than makes up for it. The only other bikes that I've seriously considered buying are the Dahon Ciao (20") or Glide (24"), but I'm not sure how those two little beauties would do "off road". Ideas, anyone?