Old 08-20-08, 07:54 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
I think it is sad that some folks feel the need to disparage others' way of doing things, while at the same time demonstrating that they haven't really bothered to understand the rationale behind these goals that others have articulated.
OK, I guess we are both sad for each other! I didn't mean to disparage, but I also am concerned when someone seems to lay the "we have to have goals" philosophy on others, as if we all operate the same.

Your statement

I guess I'd say that crosstraining can help, but only if you sit down and define what you mean by "meaningful gains". Muscle strength and endurance potential as measured by what? For what purpose? Do you want to be able to lift some arbitrary amount of weight, or do you just want to generically be "stronger" and have better "endurance", or is there some specific thing that you want to do (climb some mountain, go on some trip, take up some new sport) that will require greater muscle strength and endurance potential?

comes across pretty "heavy." I think cross training can help, even if I DON'T define meaningful gains. You know, I don't want to sit down and define anything right now, despite your saying I have to. And I think it could be discouraging to those who just want to exercise for the pure pleasure. Your statement represents your philosophy, which is fine, but I don't buy it for myself.

I would propose that the "You gotta have goals" philosophy is one of the factors discouraging (or at least, not encouraging) a large number of sedentary folks from exercising. How much better - "Find a physical activity you like and just enjoy doing it."

And, yes, if I was to climb Mt Whitney (oops - I think I could do that right now) - but perhaps Mt. McKinley, then I would agree that goal setting would be important.

However, I have no desire to climb Mt. Mckinley at the moment.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-20-08 at 08:15 AM.