Thread: dependability
View Single Post
Old 08-20-08, 07:55 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by making
thanks, we did all that again. This wrench spent several minutes searching for glass and inspecting the tube. I took it in to have the spokes trued up and just checked out, and a new liner over the spoke nipples. He did a great job so I decided to go head and buy a new wheel. I ordered a 36 spoke mavic and gator skin tire. Hopefully no more busted spokes and flat after flat. Even if I have problems I have a spare now. I get sick of riding to work in a car.
I have posted on this forum <100 times, and I bet half of my posts have contained this advice: "If a spoke breaks on your wheel, get all the spokes replaced" You have done the right thing by ordering a new wheel. Just be sure to check the tension (or take it back to the shop after a month or two of riding to make sure you have not lost spoke tension... low spoke tension is (ironically) why most wheels get broken spokes, and low spoke tension is often caused by not properly tensioning the wheel in the first place or by not stress relieving the spokes after building.

As for flats, I think replacing the tire and rimstrip will solve that problem. Even if there is not a foreign object in your tire, a tire with 100s of miles will be worn, (some will be worn a lot) and the thinner tread could be allowing tiny things to penetrate. Also! Make sure you check your tire pressure regularily with a guage! If your tire is a narrow road-bike style then do not ride with pressure below ~90PSI, if it is a bit wider (say ~30mm) then probably 65psi should be a minimum... 35mm and above, maybe 50psi on the road minimum. There is a reccomended pressure on the side of your tire and you should keep your tire inflated to this pressure. Buy a good floor pump with a pressure guage.