Old 08-20-08, 05:47 PM
Owltooth
Demoralizer of Acrobats

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads, Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all of the fast responses! Bikeforums is an awesome community.

So, I still haven't planned my route. Here's the big picture: I'm American, but my wife is French. She's currently teaching French in India at a university, and when she finishes in early May she'll fly back to Marseilles, close to Toulon where her parents live. My big plan is to fly in to Paris and ride across France in time to meet up with her.. (after TEN MONTHS of being apart...)

It's my first tour, but I've been commuting/utility cycling for years and am SO ready to tour. I've got a gps device, and my in laws will send me some Michelin maps (cheaper for them than for me to order..).. but my two biggest concerns are

1) getting there
2) getting out of the CDG airport on by bike and onto the road.

the rest is fine!

as far as the route, the only place I have to stop at is St Loup, a little village in the Burgundy region, then on to Toulon (which is in between Nice and Marseilles). Endless options. very exciting.

here's a link to the general route, just a quick google maps route that's using main highways I'm sure. just to give everyone an outline of where I have to go-- any suggestions as far as the route is concerned are very welcome! I'm bringing a tent, sleeping bag, stove, all lightweight, but am not adverse to stopping at hotels, I'm trying to be open and realistic here.

as far as that Cello thing... it's 600 BUCKS! nevermind! wow. I'd be better off buying another trailer there. way too expensive. I'll use your advice, Jabantic. Thanks everyone!