Old 08-20-08, 09:43 PM
makeinu
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinpolitico
Do you think it would be a good commuter bike for those with limited space or multi modal transportation? Does this concept interest you?

I own a Dahon Speed Pro but have been disappointed by how much the frame flexes under load. While a Mini Velo would not fold down as compactly, it might be a good solution for more performance oriented people that are limited on space.
I don't have any experience with minivelos, but in my opinion the lack of a diamond frame is probably the single biggest space saver on any folding bike (saving way more space than either wheel size or actual folding). In fact, I find that my 20" folder takes up less space in my closet unfolded than folded and I doubt I'd be able to fit the big diamond frame of a minivelo. So although these minivelos might have less flex than most folders, I wouldn't expect them to save much space either.

Perhaps forum member Raxel will weigh in because he posts a lot here about minivelos.

Originally Posted by jur
I think you are looking for a Swift. See sig.

Re above bike, yes they take less space but several inches shorter isn't a huge difference. I'm not sure why exactly they are popular in the far east (and I know they are) but I don't see the space argument for this bike as holding much water.
Interestingly the Swift also has a fairly big frame for a monotube in the sense that it is tall both in the front and the rear. The frames of Dahons, Downtubes, Bike Fridays, R20s, etc all slope down towards the rear, which means that front wheel removal cuts the height of these bikes in half while unfolded (that is, of course, assuming seatpost and handlebar removal, but I don't consider this "folding" because you can find these features on many nonfolding bikes too).