Thread: Passing Edicate
View Single Post
Old 05-15-02, 02:15 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually talk my way around someone on the trail..."Hi. I'm coming around on your left here. Nice day, isn't it?" It works pretty well with less experienced cyclists, hikers, etc. I don't yell, just start talking well in advance of the pass. I'm thinking of investing in an incredibell. They make a pleasant little "ding."

Today I was crossing a bridge in town. Normally a 4-lane bridge, it is closed down to 2 lanes for construction. When all of the lanes are open, I use the traffic lanes. For the duration of the work project, I'm using the sidewalk. Today as i crossed the sidewalk, I encountered a woman pushing a baby carriage. I COULD have ridden by her. I KNEW that I had enough room. She didn't know that however. I got off the bike and walked past her. We both smiled and said "Good morning."

I dismount for horseback riders too. Step off the trail, smile and say "hi." I don't like having my rhythm broken, but, this is just the right thing to do.

Whenever you encounter other trail users, remember that you represent all of us. My 3 rules: Be safe. Be friendly. Be polite.