Old 08-21-08, 11:08 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAPIDCITYRACER
I work at Eastern Mountain Sports in Tonawanda, NY ( calls me there...see the below link for store information) across from the Boulevard mall. See the below link:
http://www.ems.com/locator/locator_state.jsp . Hopefully that will get you set. We are moving in a couple of months and will be just down the street closer to the 290 expressway. If you go across the Rainbow Bridge by bike on the road, make sure to ride and not walk. They have rotating gates on the U.S. side and you will not get your bike through. As far as tools, never had a problem. Make sure to bring license, birth cert, and/or passport.

Thanks,

Erik Nowakowski
Store Manager
I don't mean to off-topic the thread much but have you crossed the border recently? Say in the last couple months and such? What do you mean bike by road? You mean with the cars border crossing? Does that mean I can scoot up to the front of the line while all the other cars are jammed up or I have to wait in line? I admit, the only thing that freaks me out right now is the gatekeepers. I'm not sure of the proceedure and don't want to get shot for whatever reason. I've been to the USA many times before. Love the people there. Only thing that freaks me out are the gatekeepers (border guards) and thier goverment other then that lots of awesome places to explore and gooooooood eats! I'm curious what would happen if I said I just wanted to see the other side of the falls on the USA side. Will they be dinks and make me test every electronic device I have so that it's not a bomb?

I had a friend fly to the USA a while ago. Granted this is by air but I do know the border guards can check your items if they want much like airport security to my knowledge. My mate was at the airport and the security must have had an bad day and vented off on him as he had to turn the laptop on (standard proceedure), get an explosives swab, and remove his shoes but security must have wanted to make an example out of him for having electronics because they made him take out the batteries on his laptop, cellphone, power on the PDA, batteries out his GPS, and tried to get him to take the batteries out of his Nintendo DS which he argued he can't because he's not allowed to bring the flipping screw driver on the flight so they can't open it to check if the battey might blow or something but they sure did make him turn the NDS on then take the game out to check the unit. It's a good thing my mate arrived an hour early. I think they took 30min just to detail him.

I hope I don't run into such a nightmare while riding in/out of the border. BTW what is the closest store in the USA that can issue a P.O Box? Can you find that out for me? Also if they need ID and if they can take monthly contacts then long term 12months? I'm thinking of getting a USA PO Box as some Ebay and stores in the USA have some stuff I like but won't ship up north of the border for whatever reasons. Not to vent, but one Ebay seller even had the balls to say they don't ship to Canada because they don't support the war in Iraq and they don't ship to any country that does not support the war. I forgot what I was looking for at that Ebay sellers site and no I did not buy from them. I figure being my close proximity I can just show up to the US side and pick up my stuff and ome back home that is if customs and duty don't bend me over proper and royally.