View Single Post
Old 08-22-08, 01:10 PM
bab2000

Bikes: riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OhNoItsCritical
Just curious, because I have one being delivered to me Sunday, and I'll be paying $200 for it. The seller claims it's in excellent condition and needs no maintenance and whatnot. I've done a little research so far, and read that it weighs something like 42 lbs?
From your links this is not in excellent condition, it if was the handle bar tape would not be shewed on the right side.

I suspect the tires maybe original, and if so, they will be hard, prone to cracking and not safe to ride upon, even if the tubes will hold air.

I love the Cool Lemon, and my first bike was a '72 Varsity in 26" frame, then move onto a 26" Continental in '74, same color, loved it till it was stolen from my home one stormy night.

For $200 that Varsity must be perfect, not need to replace tires/tubes, the bar tape should be tight and pristine, and the bike should shine as the sun at high noon, able to comb your hair from the reflection on the steel rims.

Reviewing your Craigs List there are numerous bikes for much less than that, and adding new tires/tubes and some elbow grease you would not have that amount in those bikes as the Varsity.

I love my Schwinns, but to be truthful, the Varsity is not a road bike, it is a solid bike with road type drop bars and 10 speeds, it is heavy in comparison of other like models, yet it is indestructible (frame), it will ride straight and true if wheels are good.

I know the challenge to find the correct frame size, and from what you have shared, the future bike will be subject to some where and tear, I would start with one that is priced sub $80, and if some paint chips, you will be adding more, so no difference.

The ads this fella provided are miss leading. 35 year old grease in the bottom bracket and wheel hubs is likely solid, must be cleaned and replaced. Examine the rims, the tube stem must be sticking straight up and out, if at n angle the bike has been ridden with to little air pressure, telling your the tubes are expected to be changed.

Be very, very careful.

Here is one that is priced yet a little high, but closer to reality - http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/807993701.html

Last edited by bab2000; 08-22-08 at 03:36 PM.