Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laika
Coney in the AM is so quiet I don't mind taking surf ave. But I do have to go up and see the ocean. Now that I live in Kensington I'm about a mile and a half from the water, and that's further from water than I've ever lived. I go a little stir crazy being landlocked like this.

Have you taken the shore pkwy to riis park? it's a nice ride. from the boardwalk in coney @ ocean pkway it's maybe a 15-mile round trip. and the atlantic is crazy to see in the winter...just chop and furious swells that make you wonder how anyone ever swims in the sea at all.
I took the Channel Side Greenway which was sort of a let down after the area between Plum and Gerritsen Beach but the Boardwalk more than made up for it. Yes the Atlantic is absolutely beautiful this time of year with white waves crashing up on the rocks creating mist in the grey sky. The boardwalk was all but deserted so I just peddaled my way to the Averne section and took the subway home. All in all I clocked about 33 miles from Lower Manhattan. Next time I want to try the route that goes up past Carnarsie to Howard Beach and JFK Airport.

Probably the most amazing thing about New York City's Greenways is the incredible view and the range of terrain - from urban concrete to wetlands.

Stacy

Last edited by Stacy; 11-15-04 at 08:47 PM.