View Single Post
Old 08-23-08, 07:14 AM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markfrommd
I don't think I'll really be doing any stunts or really extreme riding, just aggressively riding local mountain bike trails.
in that case, go for those clipless pedals/shoes if you want them. really, it's just a matter of preference.

you could argue that clipless pedals are more efficient (others will say the "gain" is so small that it doesn't count). you could argue clipless are "less safe," since it's harder to get eject from the bike, but in a way it's safer 'cause your feet rarely slip off the pedals by accident when you hit a bump.

it's a bit more $$$, though.

i ride with Shimano M520's. they're pretty cheap if you are trying to keep the budget low. they say they're good for beginners. nice thing about them is that you can adjust the tension. i have a set on my mountain bike and on my road bike. when i first installed them, i had them as loose as possible on my mountain bike. it was REAL EASY getting in and out. since then i've tighten them a bit 'cause i popped out sometimes by mistake. they can also take a fair beating.

maybe 60$ for these pedals.