bkpker
Meat popsicle.

Bikes: trek 820, slightly modified, trek 1200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input!

First, let me clear some things up that may have been a little vague in my initial post.

The LBS isn't trying to sell the frame, its in the shop and i happened to notice it and enquired whether or not it was for sale, the shop owner said it wasn't because it was damaged. I looked at the damage and it didn't seem like it was catastrophic, in fact, it appeared to me that it was in a location that would be relatively easy to repair and the damage wasn't extreme. I then asked the shop owner if he had thought of repairing it, which he said he didn't. I then asked if he would consider selling it so i could try to fix it and he said he would think about it. I fully realise that there may be other damage to the frame, but with something like this you must accept the fact that its damaged goods, attempt to repair it to the best of your ability and make it as safe as possible, or make it art.

I was interested in the frame for two reasons: firstly, i would love to ride a carbon frame and i don't have a lot of extra money for these types of things, secondly i think it would be a great learning experience to lay up a little carbon fiber and it would be a good winter project.

From my understanding the impact with the car was a slow speed one, the car was accelerating from a stop sign and hit it, so probably under 5mph. Also, the LBS owner looked the frame over and didn't observe any other damaged areas and all the components of the bike were undamaged. The bike was ridden for a while after the accident until the owner noticed it get "soft" in the rear end, at which point he noticed the crack in the seatstay and de-commissioned the frame. Anyway, i hear all the warnings about it, and i realize that im more or less taking my life in my hands if i attempt to repair it, but i would love to hear if anyone has tried anything similar and how they fared. If i were to repair it, what type of carbon would i use, what type of epoxy?