View Single Post
Old 08-24-08, 11:28 AM
snaproll

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was my first year for HHH. What a great event! The volunteers were unbelievable.

My friend and I were just getting registered when the cannon went off, so by the time we got to Scott Street we were mixing it up with the hopefuls and the 10K riders. The first four miles we averaged 12 MPH and I rode with my foot out of the clip for a good part of it.

After we got through some of the slower traffic the pace picked up and we pulled several pace lines, switching off between the two of us while younger, (smarter?) riders sat on our wheels. Occasionally we'd find someone willing to share the work, but by and large we spent a lot of time shaking off riders who weren't willing to help.

We made Hell's Gate at 10:15, feeling good, and spent 15 minutes there taking a bit of nourishment and refilling water bottles. By the rest stop at mile 75 I was beginning to feel the heat and the pace, so we stayed there about 25 minutes, drinking as much as possible and trying to cool down.

From mile 75 to about mile 90 we kept a pretty good pace and managed to get involved in a couple of good lines where everyone was willing to take a turn up front. Unfortunately, none of them lasted very long.

At mile 90 I really began to feel the effect of the heat and lack of a nourishment plan. I had gotten out of bed at 3:00 that morning to make the trip to Wichita Falls, eating only a couple of pieces of bread with honey on them. Since then I had eaten two power bars, three GU packs, some banana and watermelon, and (disgustingly enough) a pickle. We rode past several watering stations where I should have stopped but I was focused on trying to complete the ride in under 5.5 hours. I was beginning to cramp and couldn't pull at our pace for more than 1/2 mile without blowing up.

The climb up the overpass at the end of the ride would have been humorous if it hadn't hurt so much. I was in the small chain ring churning along at 9 MPH thinking I'd never get to the top of that little grade. The last few miles were brutal and I was absolutely worn out when we crossed the finish line. The total ride took 5:29 at an average pace of 18.2 MPH. Time in the saddle was 4:46 for a 21 MPH average. Not bad considering our first four miles took 20 minutes.

After spending the entire afternoon trying to replenish fluids I was still six pounds lighter than when I started the ride, so obviously I was way short on the amount of water I drank during the ride. I saw several riders water bottles in their jersey pockets as well as in bike cages - that will be me next year.

Here's to everyone who completed the ride, and to all of the wonderful volunteers along the way. Faster, stronger, better hydrated next year!!!