View Single Post
Old 08-25-08, 07:25 AM
rraabfaber
King of Dorkistan

Bikes: K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heart Patients riding?

This has probably been covered somewhere in BF's long illustrious history, but I've not been around long enough to have read it. I've been wondering; how many people in the 50+ forum are either current or recovering heart patients?

I had angioplasty when I was 38 -- just a hop, skip, and a sharp stabbing pain, away from a full-blown heart attack. I'd had a full blockage that was not treatable with a stent, and so I went on a exercise program at a rehab place. It was mostly treadmill and walking (and diet). Within two years I was pronounced clear. My heart had basically built a natural bypass. So, now, 12 years later, I'm not in the best shape of my life, to be sure, but not the worst either. I've only been back in the saddle for four years, and I lost a lot of one season because of some respiratory problems. I can't help thinking that if I'd started riding sooner it would have helped.

So has anyone here had to deal with this? Since you've been riding, or as therapy as a result?