Old 08-25-08, 01:36 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nycwtorres
I got that covered I am going for a carbon fork. LINK HERE and it's quite affordable.

I suppose my biggest concern is to NOT back myself into a corner and have to buy even another fork if I want to swap out the stem and headset.. but I don't know much about the stem headset setup that will work for my bike.

As far as a new bike.. oh that will happen but probably not for a year or so. In addition this bike has had me passing much nicer bikes for the past 17 years, I expect to be using this bike for many more years so the upgrades are worth it.
The fork shown on the link is hardly a carbon fork. Only a short section of the legs is all carbon. The steer tube, crown, and dropouts are aluminum. The crown will have aluminum internal lugs extending down into the legs. The dropouts have internal aluminum lugs extending up into the legs- not much of a weight improvement. It will require a new 1" headset and a 1" compatible stem.
It all adds up to a lot of money for little improvement.
I'm not surprised that you and your bike can pass much nicer bikes. Keep on doing that and save your money for a completely new bike. Upgrades are relatively expensive. New bikes cost less than the sum of their parts.

Al