View Single Post
Old 08-26-08, 05:58 AM
Longfemur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not an extremist about these things, but I've learned through experience that whatever works for many internet cyclists doesn't work for me, and if so, probably doesn't work for many other cyclists either. For example, I can ride in any clothes, and in any position on the bike for about 10 miles. Longer than that, give me the cycling shoes (any kind is better than none), and give me at least the cycling shorts, and by the way, give me a road bike position (though not an extreme one).

As for walking, there may be some combinations of shoes and cleats that aren't a problem, but don't ask me to do any real walking with any SPD type of setup. I like SPD or compatible because it's easy to walk when I have to get off the bike, but I sure won't walk for miles of sightseeing in them, I can guarantee you that. Just the cleat grating on concrete and paved surfaces for 30 seconds is enough to drive you nuts!

But the bottom line as far as clothing goes is that good cycling clothing in various styles exist, and they make cycling for long distances much more pleasant. Why would anyone make a virtue out of not wearing it? It's just silly, like not using proper skiing equipment to ski, or if you're a regular swimmer, swimming in your underwear, or like running wearing ordinary clothes. You can do it, but why bother? If you don't want to look like the proverbial Bike Forums "elite cyclist", then choose less extreme, looser-fitting touring or mountain bike cycle clothes.

Last edited by Longfemur; 08-26-08 at 06:01 AM.