View Single Post
Old 08-26-08, 10:30 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions about Salinas to Big Sur

This weekend i was thinking about taking amtrak from oakland to salinas and then riding down to big sur to camp. The route seems pretty obvious, HWY 68 to HWY 1 to big sur. However, the interchange of 68 and 1 looks pretty nasty, and the hwy after that looks like a 4-lane major hwy (got to love street view).

I looks like you could take a left onto Olmsten road from HWY 68 before the interchange with HWY 1, then continue on Monhollan road, and finally take a left on Aguajito road before catching up with HWY 1. Is this a good solution? Is there another detour you could recommend?
Another option i saw was taking a left on Laureles Grade road from HWY 68, and then right on West Carmel Valley Road to HWY 1.

Also, what is the traffic typically like on a weekend? Holiday weekend?
Is it doable or should it be avoided all together?

EDIT: How long would this route take for a typical rider? I ride everyday around the city and longer (30-40) mile rides on the weekend. The train arrive in salinas at about noon. If i take my time, stopping to eat and traveling at a moderate pace could i make it to big sur by 5 or 6pm?
Any experience taking bikes on the coast starlight?

Last edited by zoltani; 08-26-08 at 10:41 AM.