View Single Post
Old 08-27-08, 03:48 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dixiewhiskey
i've had a regular specialized sirrus for 2 years which i liked but the components could have been better. it was $600 new. i rode the bike pretty much every day for my commute to work and the bike started to show it's weaknesses in terms of functionality and durability. i just sold it and am now shopping for another hybrid. this time i want something a little sturdier and with better components and disc brakes. i'm also considering single speed, i already have a single speed folding bike that is a lot of fun to ride, haha.

i've looked around a little and i found the cannondale bad boy pretty appealing, although the ultra is out of my price range and the cheaper one doesn't have disc brakes. the single speed is not available in the us it seems. then i found the marin point reyes, and a friend recommended the jamis coda elite.

are those good bikes for the buck? what else is out there? what is a really good, sturdy hybrid for roads and trails and everyday use for about $1000???

I concurr on the Sirrus. I'm enjoying my '07, but I keep fantasizing what it would be like if built in steel like my '88 racing Sirrus, with Shimano 105 or better instead of Sora. I keep thinking that if it were built out of steel and had drop bars and brifters it would make one hell of a touring bike and definitely have more longevity.