Old 08-28-08, 06:39 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by the watcher
I actually live in Zone 5/6 in London. Only wanted a bike to take me from zone 4 to 2.
I've test ridden 2 birdies, one Rohloff at AVC in Bath when I went to return the one I ordered, another the Touring model at bikefix in London. I do like the bike, but am put off by the fact that everyone in my house is REALLY vilifying me saying there is no way I could ever get a folding bike on the tube, whether it's a Brompton or Birdy or whatever.

Hiring a bike from Velorution is pretty expensive, I think it's £20/day regardless of model.

I think folders just don't work in London unless one works say 10-6 or something. But with a regular 9-5 in central London, I'm guessing it's not practical.

There's little point in purchasing a folder and then finding I can't get it on the public transport and have to lock it somewhere (assuming I happened to be carry my locks).
At the absolute rush hour, you'd struggle to get even a Brommie on the tube.....however, if you have a bike, why would you even consider setting foot in the tube? Just ride it all the way, fold it up, and take it into your office! I ride my Mini all over London, and being an itinerant consultant, I don't even have an office! I just cheekily ask for somewhere to put it.