View Single Post
Old 08-29-08, 11:32 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Need Advice on Riding in LA

I'm planning to attend the Skeptics Conference Oct 3 and 4 at Caltech in Pasadena. As some of you may know, Dr. Michael Shermer, who is the director of the Skeptics Society (as well as a columnist for Scientific American), was one of the original four guys who invented RAAM (back when it was the Great American Bike Race). Anyway, I plan to fly into LA Friday around noon with just my bike and small backpack, assemble the bike, leave the bike bag at a baggage storage place at the airport, and ride to Pasadena.

I have been advised by Dr. Shermer that cycling from LAX to Pasadena is not fun, and that it's a much more pleasant ride from BUR (Bob Hope Airport in Burbank). I want to get a good ride both coming into Pasadena and leaving on Sunday. So, a couple of questions:

Is there a decent route from LAX to Pasadena? (I've checked MapMyRide and there appears to be lots of quiet roads between Burbank/Glendale and Pasadena.)

I understand that they don't let you store baggage at LAX - you have to call a company that picks up your baggage and stores it for you and then delivers it back to the airport. Do they let you store bags at BUR?

Also, if I've got four or five hous on Sunday, is there a ride near Pasadena I just have to do? (I'll be on my fixed gear bike, so it can't be too steep!)

Anyway, I'm hoping there's some knowledgeable 50+ ciclistas familiar with LA out there. Thanks.

Luis

Last edited by lhbernhardt; 08-29-08 at 11:33 PM. Reason: correction to name of event