Old 08-30-08, 06:59 PM
gz_
FREE DEATHHARE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
It looks from the dates on your pics like you went west to east. If so that makes a BIG difference. Starting in the east you hit the high passes much later in the trip, so for the OP it probably is too late to prudently do the TA.

From your pics it looks like you went over McKenzie Pass (a very cool part of the trip). I thought it was closed then. Am I wrong, about that or did you sneak through. We hit it when it was closed, but it was the weekend so we figured the road crew wouldn't be working and snuck through. That was the first of several times we ignored road closed signs including a huge one in Kansas that said "Closed to Bicyclists"
Yes I went West to East, I really don't think anyone could get through any of those passes had they been going the other way. I did go through McKenzie Pass which was pretty early in the trip so it was still warm and there was no snow or anything there. It was still open and the view of the Sisters was amazing so I'm glad I took that over the alternate route.

I grew up in the New England so I'm used to snow, but really had no idea that the West got so much and so early. It was also a surprise to me to learn that they actually close roads for Winter and start getting snow in August. The areas I had trouble (and got really lucky that I was still able to get through) was Lolo Pass from Idaho to Montana, the Southern exit from Yellowstone will close if there is too much snow, just outside this there is Towogotee Pass (sp?) going into Dubois which also closes during the winter (and had a lot of road work.) I'm not sure if Hoosier Pass closes, but I got a foot of snow the night before and it was a bit slippery getting over but the pass was still open. I believe the other popular road through the Rockies (Trail Ridge Road?) closes Oct 15th.

Anyways, to the OP, had I had the same window of opportunity, I would have taken the Pacific Coast route or Southern Tier.