View Single Post
Old 08-31-08, 01:39 PM
atbman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Were they actually teaching their kids to ride without stabilisers? Or teaching them how to develop their skills? Not quite sure from your wording.

Our Saturday club has become a bit of a mecca for parents who have heard about us teaching kids to ride and we have a pretty good success record - not failed with one over the last 10 years. What helps is that we have a good, safe, cycling facility with a half-mile cycling road circuit, the use of a couple of all-weather socccer pitches (rolled shale/grit), a mini bmx track and a fair bit of grass including short slopes.

We've taught so many this summer, I sometimes seem to be surrounded by the ankle-biters bike club.

It's easy to forget that there is a "lost" generation of parents who were probably the first one to be stopped from riding generally "because the traffic is dangerous", so the knowledge which we take for granted (drop-out safety tabs - grrrr anyone?) isn't there. Many of the early questions I was asked by parents (who are required to be present at the sessions and help where necessary) brought this home to me and changed the way I thought about how we ran the club.

Even simple things like the barrel adjusters on brake levers on mtb and bmx bikes were a mystery to many, so make sure you don't take your own carefully gathered expertise for granted.

By the way, we're all volunteers - no professionals here.