Old 09-01-08, 12:05 PM
!jayho!

Bikes: Univega Sportour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cone replacement...

I originally posted in the classic/vintage forum, but realized it might be better off here.

I have a pair of pitted cones on my older (mid 80s?) Sunshine hub and I'm hoping to find replacements rather than replace the whole hub. I took the axle and cones to a shop nearby (Valencia Cyclery in San Francisco) and they came up with some new cups that fit the axle diameter and threading, but are a different height/width(?) -- basically taking up more space on the axle. I've yet to build it back up so I don't know if it'll work out, but will I run into any issues due to this size difference? Also, is there a potential replacement source for cups on these older Sunshine hubs? The hubs read: "Sunshine 5345" if that does any good. I've browsed the Wheels Manufacturing and Bikeville sites but wasn't able to really discern if I found what I was looking for. Any thoughts?

Oh, I'm not looking for "original" parts. I don't care about matching what was exactly in the original; just something that will do the trick.