Sammiches
Roast Beast Sammich

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tortoise
Or could it be because if they told the truth, "I don't feel like spending three times as long sweating on a bike for an errand that I can accomplish with my car, in the air conditioning." they would be demonized, especially by enthusiasts/zealots. Maybe the "average" person isn't comfortable being judged as immoral/slothful for choosing convenience, and maybe they're too polite to tell the questioner to go 'F themselves.

I bet they don't make excuses to their peers, because their peers likely feel the same way. To them they'd just say, "I'll drive."

How many of those little old ladies would choose to continue hauling wood and water on their heads were a vehicle option available? Or clean water in their homes? Exactly.

+1.

When my co-workers mention they won't bike I'm not about to judge their reasons. A lot of them work plenty hard here and I've no idea what they go home to. Sure, a radical realignment of their lifestyle might benefit them, but I don't know that. It takes 2+ hours of my day to commute, and with 2 kids I'm very fortunate to be able to take that time.

And those third-world populations that are lucky enough to be industrializing? They're buying cars as fast as they can.