Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kendeathwalker
Any one else get sore knees from clippless? For me its only the right knee, and lately its not so much sore as painful to the point it keeps me awake sometimes. Only after longer rides, 10 miles + do I get sore like that, but only in the right knee. Im assuming its the clipless pedals because I commute to work with cages on my other bike and that doesnt bother me. I was thinking it might be the position of the cleat? Am I doing to much biking? Commuting 13 miles round trip to work 4 days a week and about 20-30 miles of Mountain biking on the weekend.

Its along the outside of the knee if any one else has experienced this before?

I moved this here from another forum.

When I started back riding a couple of months back, I was riding a borrowed bike with platform pedals on a triple crank.

When I bought my bike, it came with a compact double and I added clipless pedals. I started having left knee pain pretty badly with the new pedals and had already been having it on the new bike before I put the look pedals on.

Now, do your bikes have different cranks? I found that the narrower CD might be the culprit so I added pedal extenders/kneesavers. I rode 27 miles on Sunday and, other than some pain from a spill, I have no pain in my left knee from riding.

If you have a similar situation, you might look into the kneesavers.

A triple has three chain rings on the crank. A double has two chain rings on the crank. a "CD" Compact double has two chain rings that are smaller than the regular double.

I called the 800 number for the people who make the Kneesavers and told them about my situation and let them suggest a size. If, after you get them, they are too wide, or too narrow, they can be exchanged for only the price of postage each way.

In my case, I went with the 25mm extenders.

I have a toe out problem that is more prevelant with the Compact Double.

I see in your post that both of your bikes have triples, so that may not be the problem. You may not have enough play in your cleats or your saddle may be too low.

I'd google "Proper fit for a road bike" and follow the suggestions there for the bike on which you are commuting. It may make a difference.
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"