Old 09-03-08, 07:48 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hubby shopping for recumbent

My husband has an artificial shoulder and probably another one on the way in a year or two (osteoarthritis in both shoulders). He rides a hybrid (Trek 7500) and 2 road bikes (an early 70s vintage Schwinn Sports Tourer and a Specialized Roubaix), both with stems adjusted high to accommodate his shoulders.

He's been riding all 3 bikes a lot lately and the pain in both shoulders intensified this week -- the perfect excuse for n+1..... a recumbent.

He went to a recumbent shop today and looked at a few. He loved the way he felt while riding them. He likes the Rans Stratus but is just beginning the search and this is new territory. Lots of recumbent riders in our group, so he plans to ask them for input. And I plan to go to the Recumbent forum for advice there as well.

I don't even know what to ask for him. It must climb hills well and be stable. Can anyone point out the highlights to look for while shopping for a 'bent? Advantages/disadvantages of a smaller front wheel (or not), pedals forward, a price range for good quality without breaking the bank?

I've seen some recumbent riders that seem a little wobbly, and I wonder if that is the rider or the bike.

I suggested that he ride only the Trek and Schwinn for a while and see if his shoulders feel better. If not, then a recumbent is most likely in his future so he can continue to ride. In that case, he'll probably sell the Roubaix.

n+1.... it never ends.