View Single Post
Old 09-03-08, 08:20 PM
bartturner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I very much focus on average speed. I also only ride solo. On my P2C, with aero helmet, tri suit, aero HED H3 wheel I average 23.1 mph, killing myself, on my 15 mile, flat loop. I have averaged 24mph on my 5 mile very flat course that does require a complete turn around. On my 24 mile, very flat, course without HED wheel, helmet or outfit I average 22mph and some change. On a very, very hilly course that is about 18 miles I average 18 on the low end and have averaged as high as 19mph.

My goal is to increase my average for all of these by 1mph by September 2009.

In the last year I have significantly increased my average speeds. Last year I could not break 18mph. It is funny how you can never be satisfied. My dream was to break 18mph. That was my goal I set September 2007 for the tri I did last week. If I only could do 18mph. Well I averaged 22.1 mph.

For the same tri in September 2007 I averaged 15.8 mph. So 6+mph improvement. Now all I want is a 1mph improvement for September 2009.

I plan on doing it by:

- Going to buy a solid back wheel
- Purchasing a PowerTap and really focus on fit as it relates to generating power.
- Also use the PowerTap to work on faster cadence. Mine is way to slow right now
- A lot more training. More miles. Regular spin class during the winter
- Smoke less

I am guessing increasing my speed by 1 mph will be harder than the increase of 6 during the last year.