Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
I'm the same way -- I'm a kinesthetic learner; perhaps you are, too.

Gradually I'm learning how to read profiles. But I'd rather ride them than read about them.

Getting better on climbs means repetition -- doing the climb frequently, as well as doing repeaters. We have a couple short, intense climbs here -- Wesley and Vine Streets, Steiger Hill, Cantelow, and the mother of the local climbs, Mix Canyon. My hill training days I do repeats of the first three. (One of these days I'll get out my triple and climb Mix.) Of the climbs you've mentioned the only one with which I'm familiar is Diablo -- have done it 3 times.

So once I get familiar with a hill I start experimenting, doing it all standing, or all seated, or as fast as I can climb it, or in the biggest gear I can turn, or all of the above. The more you climb the stronger and faster you get. That's very individualized, as well, and influenced by your other riding as well.

I really like climbing, though, so YMMV.
I think I'm getting beter at reading profiles, but I kinda like the way that as you ride a climb more often you notice more subtle facets that you don't appreciate first time up. A gentle change gradient that let's you recover, or flick up a gear, perhaps a better line that takes the edge of a killer grade etc. Sounds like we're on a similar wavelength RR.