Old 09-05-08, 07:29 PM
Caribou2001
Neophyte

Bikes: 2001 Devinci Caribou (touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 39 and just started riding again after about 15 years myself. I started with 3-4 sessions of spinning classes (one a week) and those were absolutely killing me (and I was nowhere near keeping up with the group - not even close, but it did get better comparing week one to the last week I did it).

Then I got on a real bike, and promptly bruised my tailbone which took 2-3 weeks to get mostly healed, but I changed saddle and kept riding short runs anyway. All the while I felt as you describe....

Even 2-3 months after starting I found it was hard to get going, but that after the first 30 minutes my legs were warming up and it was less painful.

Now, I'm doing 40-50 km on my average ride, and I've gone up to as much as 70. (about 4 months after starting, I think). Hills still suck, but I can see I've gotten lots better, but that I still have a lot of room for growth too!

A couple points/questions though:

Are you watching what/when you eat vs. when you ride? There may be a correlation between not eating the best pre-ride foods and how you feel...

Also consider the time of day you ride -- even if you only feel mind-weary and not body-weary after a day at work if that's when you ride it's no shock if you feel lethargic. Try turning things upside down and ride at different times of the day and listen to your body for clues...

Try a couple rides in the AM before breakfast... just drink some water and go for 30-60 minutes... compare how this feels with a ride 1-2 hours after a big meal....

If you're finding food is related to your fatigue, try a "meal" of a cup of granola and some fruit about 90 minutes before a ride...

Just some ideas!

Good luck -- with persistence it will get better; just a lot slower than when you were in your 20s!