Old 09-07-08, 10:47 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can agree with most of these points.

EBay and Craigslist are an enigma. Where else can you see people pay more for something that what you can buy new? Bikes I've seen go for near the new price mainly because it's exactly what someone is looking for.

If you're talking about technology advances, look at the 9 speed system. You can still buy bikes today with 9 speeds. That came out like 10 years ago. Some things don't change that much over time.

Why do people own more than one Tricross? I had two myself, but sold one. Why did I have two? I like them so much that I wanted one for commuting and road riding and the other for racing. Turns out Specialized changed the geometry from the 2006 model and now I'm not happy with them. If my 2006 model got stolen, I'd go out and buy the exact same bike. Same year. Probably pay more than the 50% retail for it also.

Originally Posted by Richard8655
To the last, a couple points.

Why do I see used 2-3 year old Tricross's selling for close to their original retail on Craigslist and as often reported on this board? I don't think the 50% rule holds up anymore with high-demand limited-production bikes, as it does to driving most cars out of the show room. I know bicycles are a different matter, but when have we seen car prices increase by 25% per year like this?

The big negative to this idea is that technology advances and one would be locking themselves into design history despite the cost savings. Afterall, who'd want to pay a premium price now for a used Raleigh Grand Prix of the late 70's, which was considered state-of-the-art and an enduring classic then? (I think I just talked myself out of this point of view here.)

But I sense a few Tricross fans here own more than one. Why is that?