Old 11-20-04, 04:33 PM
Mars
coitus non circum.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
High speed wreck

How many times have I ridden over train tracks? 10,000 times maybe. I don't even really think about it. A quick twitch of the handlebars to hit them as close to a right angle as possible, lift butt off seat, and back to riding.

This time, though, was different. I was setting a pace of 23 mph on the last 4 miles of my weekend training ride when I came to some RR tracks. I did my usual, but this time the front wheel deflected and I was going down.

I played rugby for several years and the old instincts kicked in. Rolled shoulder, right arm across my face, chin down. Leg hits (ouch!!), hear metal on pavement. Now shoulder...Impact!!! My body twists and rolls. I see my bike fly skyward as I tumble across the asphalt. Then, stillness. I taste dust in my mouth as I lay on my side. I hear someone say to someone else, "Do you have a cellphone?" I hear hurrying feet as I start to lift myself up. I say,"Was that a great looking wreck or what?"

That was about an hour ago. I'm home now. Took 4 aspirins and a hot bath. My cognac is all gone so I'm sipping amaretto (the horror!). An inspection of my body reveals skin missing from about halfway down my calf up to my hip. My right elbow, forearm, and shoulder are all missing some skin too. My neck is sore, but not too bad.

Bike: bar tape, saddle and right chainstay were power sanded by the asphalt. She landed on grass after being launched into the air by my rolling body. She is a cyclocross bike, so built pretty tough. Glad I wasn't on my roadie.

I think I need more aspirin now...