Old 09-08-08, 06:43 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I was thinking of starting a new thread, but I'll try posting my idea here first...

What I'm wondering is: is there any kind of a network of free campsites?

For example, I gladly offer a campsite in a meadow in zip 08648 for the occasional use of bicycle tourists. I could also offer the use of a back yard in zip 11951. And I can offer a very nice campsite at the side of a pond in zip 20175. I can probably come up with two or three more if I think about it for a while.

I'm talking about spots that would be very nice for stealth camping, but where no stealth is actually needed. I'm offering the campsite only; in certain cases there might be limited access to water, electricity, even a bathroom; but normally I'd think no facilities would be offered.

If every BF member could come up with one or two such spots, we could assemble an impressive network of campsites that could be used by bicycle tourists. There would have to be rules, of course... and arrangements would have to be made on an individual basis... in short, the details would have to be worked out. But... it could be cool, don't you think?