View Single Post
Old 11-20-04, 06:39 PM
suntreader
Out of breath again.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) I ride responsibly. I obey traffic laws. I always wear my helmet. I always wear brightly-colored clothes so car drivers can see me.

2) I ride politely. I never shout profanity or use obscene hand gestures.

3) I never refer to the police as pigs or Nazis. I don't believe the world is being controlled by a massive police conspiracy.

4) I never refer to automobile drivers.. who pay the taxes that build and maintain the roads I ride on... as cagers. Although I have little use for SUVs, I accept the fact that they are legal vehicles and my whining won't change that.

5) I always compliment our city government whenever they do something good for cyclists... like building bike lanes all across the city. I try to participate in all city-sponsored cycling events.

6) I maintain an excellent relationship with the police officers who patrol my cycling routes. I know them all by name. I help them do their jobs by telling them about abandoned or suspicious vehicles that I see while riding, or any questionable activity that I might see.

7) I repair and donate old bikes.

8) I encourage others to take up cycling... and to do it in a responsible manner.

I suppose none of this could be called a "victory" by CM definitions, because none of these things have been accomplished through confrontation with the non-cycling world. However, I think this is the way all cyclists should behave. By being cooperative and constructive... or acting like sheep as so many CM'ers say... cyclists in my community have made tremendous strides forward in the recognition of cycling as a worthwile activity. As a result, we have a wonderful cycling environment that will only improve in the years to come.