Old 09-09-08, 12:57 AM
sequoia78
CrossFixed

Bikes: REDLINE MonoCog SS, Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, IRO custom fixie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are you guys arguing about? Cyclists riding and behaving like cars on the road? Here in Bend, cyclists (not cruiser bike riders or teens on BMX's) ride in the road and behave like cars. It seems to be working pretty well so long as they remain alert, wear proper cycling attire (bright colors, lights, etc. - Not spandex), wear their helmets, and don't take driver courtesy for granted. Roundabouts and turn lanes seriously confuse bike lane operations, and most cyclists I have spoken with prefer to be in front of the car where they remain highly visible than off on the passenger side barely getting noticed. I tend to agree with them, so long as my speed isn't hindering motorists from driving at safe and reasonable speeds.

We benefit in Bend, as cyclists, from having no freeway and very little highway traffic at all due to our through-town-traffic accomodating parkway. This helps greatly with keeping us from having to worry about HOV lanes and issues with freeway riding, highway traffic, on and off-ramp issues, etc. However, Bend is also a road riding mecca, and many local cyclists spend more time riding centuries than commuting to and from work or the bank or market. So our perception of VC is a bit skewed.

Those are my two cents on the concept of Vehicular Cycling. Hope everyone remembers that these forums work best when they inform, educate and share.