Old 09-09-08, 12:20 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Waiting to turn left, how close to double-yellow?

Here's a nuance that I haven't quite settled for myself. Waiting to make a left turn from a fairly busy average-width two-lane road, 3-5' shoulders, no curbs, average car speed 30-35 MPH, onto a residential street, unsignalized intersection. I signal and merge to the middle of the road so I'm close to the double-yellow line. Worst case, I have to stop there to wait for oncoming traffic to clear and there are more cars approaching from behind.

Obviously the cars behind me, if they pass at all, will pass on my right, and they do. (In one spot in particular, it is wide enough for cars to pass even other waiting cars on the right, and they do.) My uncertainty is exactly where laterally to stop and wait. I don't want to be too close to the double-yellow and the opposing cars, because you need a certain margin for error, but at the same time I feel pretty vulnerable being too far away from the double-yellow, possibly preventing cars from passing me on the right, or requiring that they take me into account pretty far in advance to avoid hitting me. (I always dress brightly and use lights at night, and sometimes but not always hi-viz clothing during the day.) Leaving less margin for error to my right, I guess you could say.

Specific questions: About how far to the right of the double-yellow do you stop in this situation? (Or, if the double-yellow breaks for the intersection, think of where it would be if it continued through.) And how concerned should I be about getting hit from behind if I'm too far away from the double-yellow position, into the lane? Is it just a matter of getting over the paranoia, like taking the lane in other situations? I guess I feel more vulnerable "taking the lane" here because here I'm not moving, so the net overtaking speed is higher.