View Single Post
Old 09-09-08, 11:24 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
I am forced to disagree with Vik here. The seat on a new Tikit *will* withstand a picking-up and direct up-and-down shaking, at least on the four Tikits I've tested or owned. If you shake to the side or at a strong angle, it'll pop out, since that's the torque and angle at which you remove the seat in the first place. That Vik's isn't doing this is of some concern to me -- he's owned his bike longer than others. I hope this doesn't imply wear.
Well to clarify on my oldest Tikit [which has been folded a ton] the seatpost sticks tenaciously. So much so I'm actually thinking of lubing the mating surfaces as I have to hit the seat quite hard to release it. On my newer Seasons Tikit the seatpost will stay in place if I lift the bike lightly, but pops out if I lift the bike fast or shake it at all.

I prefer the easy release of the Seasons Tikit and won't be sad at all if my older Tikit loosens up a bit in this area. Have a look at the rear triangle and how it attaches to the mainframe. When you are riding the Tikit there is no way for the rear triangle to unlock without you actually lifting the seat and rotating it forward. Even if you did that you could still ride the bike by standing on the pedals.

It's a smart design and a seatpost that releases easily isn't a safety hazard or liability in any way. If there was a way to tune the release tension I set it to release easily.