Thread: Schwinn?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-08, 01:00 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seagullplayer
I can't imagine putting 100 miles a year on them at this point. Am I going to regret a "lower end" (High Timber)Schwinn from a department store?
Thanks,
On this forum you will find many "snobs" who insist on getting a bike from your local bike shop. I would be guilty of telling you to get a better bike if it wasn't for your quote above. A Schwinn Ranger mountain bike from Target got me back into biking and for $139.00 it was a great bike for months of riding over hundreds of miles. I was lucky that whoever assembled the bike at Target knew what they were doing. This is generally not the case when you buy a department store bike. Bikes with cheaper componenets generally require more adjust to the derrailers. Having the lower end bike for a while will make you appreciate a better built bike with better components. Hopefully you will get the biking sickness and want to do 100 miles a week rather than a year. Then, you should take a look at a Hybrid like a Trek 7000 series as an example of many options out there.