Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by pista
You guys must have really soft, tender butts'. I have never used any cream even on 150 mile rides. A good pair of bibs is all it takes plus a nice saddle, of course.
Actually first you need a bicycle that fits. If you're rocking on the saddle, you'll be sore. If your saddle is too low, you'll be sore. If you are sliding back and forth on your saddle, you'll be sore. So first set the bicycle up correctly.

Then get a good saddle. I personally recommend a Brooks. With my Brooks I can ride long distances without padded shorts, without any pain or sores problems at all.

However, a good pair of shorts can help the situation too. Make sure they've got enough padding to cover your sitbones, but not so much padding that they chafe. And expensive shorts are not necessarily comfortable shorts. You've got to try a bunch on and see what works for you.

Once you get riding, you've got to keep clean. If you are doing a long, hot ride, stop in at a gas station and wash (with water and paper towels) your sitting area thoroughly. What happens is that you sweat, and your sweat contains salt, which can be abrasive. When you wash all that off, you will be much more comfortable.

If you don't have a gas station with water available, use baby wipes ... just duck behind a tree and clean yourself with baby wipes every few hours.

If you happen to start to develop a sore, apply a product like Ozonol or Polysporin (with the pain relieving stuff) to that sore. Those products will start the healing process and remove the pain.

When you finish your ride, if you have a rash or small sore, shower, wash the area well with soap and water, and then apply zinc oxide cream. You'll be fine in the morning.