Old 09-16-08, 09:16 AM
beelz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While it's nice that one can add electric capabilities by buying a kit (and the kits are rather expensive, aren't they?) the question is, why aren't the damn manufacturers visionary enough to realize that people also need a fully functional pedal bike, not just an electric scooter? Isn't that, like, friggin' obvious? Why are we forced to make major modifications by ourselves? Some of us aren't particularly technically inclined.

But one also may as well ask why the damn manufacturers still make small uncomfortable crotch-wedging seats when we know how to make them right, it's no mystery. And why they still put style ahead of function with such things as handlebars (the stick handlebars look cool, but the old fashioned handlebars that bent toward the rider at 90 degree angles were far more user-friendly, and put far less pressure on the crotch and arms.)

Why aren't recumbents being mass produced? Why do manufacturers seem to cling forever to old ideas when there are new, better ones?

I have started exploring that site, electricbikes.com. Thanks for the link. But maybe someone can help me on this: are there ANY electric scooter style bikes on electricbikes.com, or anywhere else, that offer a multi-speed pedaling feature? Recumelectric, you misunderstand me. I don't want pedal-assist technology. I mean, I'll take it as an extra, and imagine it would be nice to have, but what I want is to pedal, unassisted, often, in order to get a good workout and strengthen muscles. And I want the bike to allow that to be done efficiently, with multiple pedaling speeds. And I want the electric assist only for when I have to climb a hill or have a passenger. Even for people who don't want to pedal, the fact is that sometimes the battery runs out and you're far from home, and then you're really screwed with existing bikes.