urbanwhitetrash
Wet behind the ears

Bikes: '08 Tomasso Velocita, 06 Kona Dr. Dew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Portion control & Presentation

I'm not sure if you're like me, but I really like to cook however I have a real hard time with portion control when it comes to starches/carbs. So what I've started doing in the last few weeks has really helped with controlling the portions plus it makes the presentation top notch.

Measuring Cups. yup, pretty simple.

Last night I made roasted boneless skinless chicken breasts over a bed of quinoa with fresh tomatoes and basil. In the past I would load a couple of serving spoons of quinoa onto a plate and put the chicken breast on top and hey presto, dinner is served. Instead of doing that, I took my 1/2C measuring cup, lightly sprayed it with olive oil, spooned the quinoa into the cup, packed it down a little and plopped it on the plate. Sliced up the chicken breast, put on top of the nicely formed mold, dressed it with some fresh basil leaves and lightly drizzled with olive oil. The presentation was restaurant quality and the quantity was with my daily caloric budget so it's a win win situation.

I've done this with rice, mashed potatoes and even pasta, it works like a charm plus it makes it look like you're a superstar in the kitchen.

Have fun and happy cooking.

PS. don't forget to lightly oil your measuring cups.