View Single Post
Old 09-16-08, 04:16 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Down 2% in what timeline?

I'm extremely diversified, but I was part of a building sale last summer and against my better judgement put in a bunch of money when the market was at an all time high. I knew better, but doubted myself. I've lost about 10% since the beginning of last summer. Much less than the market in general, so I'd say it worked.

Now, my 401k, in which I let myself trade and test myself, I was about 40% above the market in the past 3 years. And I never had more than 5 stocks going. I was thinking myself very clever, because against the S&P it usually gained more or lost less each day. But then the last 2 weeks happened, and now my gain is substantially diminished. I'd say I'm only 10% over the S&P now.

I'm involved in another building sale in February, and I'm going to keep that money away from the market. Maybe start dribbling it in 1.5 years from now. We haven't seen the massive layoffs yet, and that needs to happen before I trust the market again. Although, I don't see any reason why it should rebound. America doesn't have a lot to offer right now, besides food.

I'm terrified this will screw up my retirement.