View Single Post
Old 09-17-08, 08:50 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1150A
I'm just having a tough time deciding if the premium price of the bike friday is worth it? Even the used ones are still a bit pricey.
As much as I like Bike Fridays there are three things to consider:

1) does the bike fit you? Make sure you have enough cockpit space and that the seatpost/bars raise to where you need them. Bike Fridays are not one size fits all.

2) While the Bike Friday Tikit is a true folding bike suitable for commuting the other Bike Friday models are travel bikes. They do fold up a bit....not as quickly or elegantly as a commuter folding bike, but good enough for solving storage issues at home or packing into a car trunk. Where they really shine is replacing a full-size bike when you have to fly. Not that you have to fly or even fold a Bike Friday to enjoy it. I ride my Tikit a lot for trips where I don't plan to fold it at all simply because it's a great bike. But, if you expect to fold the bike several times a day and have to move it around while folded a travel bike may disappoint.

3) If the Bike Friday in question is one of their travel models and it fits you then you need to figure our which model it is. They make road bikes and touring bikes. The road bikes won't be able to fit fatter rubber which may be an issue depending on what sort of use you hope to put it through.