Old 09-17-08, 12:23 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datako
Steel is real, wool is real, that's why real cyclists wear steel wool underpants

I don't know who came up with that, but it sums up the debate.

I find I prefer my steel bikes, but I'm not fast enough to obsess over whether I'd save 0.0003 seconds over 50 miles.

The reality is that the important thing is the quality of the ride. A good designer could make a bike built out of scaffolding run well.

A good steel bike frame is within a pound of an alloy one. Neither can compete with Carbon for weight, but I would find it difficult to use my carbon fibre bike for knock around duties, and I'd trust a 10yr old steel frame more than a similar age other material except Ti.

BTW I love the term "dork disk" - never heard it before, but it's the right word!

Ti versus 953 is the big question for me
Go 953 - it'll be worth more when you want to sell it

I have carbon, and steel. Just sold my aluminum last night so don't own aluminum anymore. Obviously, that tells you what I prefer. Steel feels great, and I probably spend just as much time on my steel bike as my carbon. For those that say steel feels dead, maybe it was the grade of steel?