View Single Post
Old 09-19-08, 07:03 PM
dannyg1 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
'82 Trek 613: What would you do?

I have an '82 Trek 613, serial # ID, that I'm preparing for sale and the options are driving me a bit insane. The frame/fork is a charcoal grey 22.5" Ishiwata 022 with the spearpoint wrap seatstay caps; the dropout end caps are filed and pretty , but quite not to the same level as a 700 series. The paint is in good shape for its age and is still quite presentable, but there are scratches all over it. I've cleaned it to as best as it's ever going to be. ook around 4 hours so far.

Here's what's on the bike now (the stuff that matters for this discussion):

Crank: SR Nuovo Record wannabee (but far less refined) forged, one piece five arm spider.
RD, FD and Shifters: Suntour BL (Rare I know). Cyclone/Sprint level.
Brakes: Dia Compe 500
Seatpost: Cheap SR two piece alloy
Wheels: Nope!

Option 1 is to build the bike up from here and sell it. That'd be the cheapest and fastest but the brakes are horrid, the cranks only passable and I don't think that either belong on a frame of this caliber.

Option 2 is to build the bike in full Campagnolo NR. I have most of the parts and could do this inexpensively but, fom what I've seen, NR groups are actually worth more as a separate gruppo than they are built onto a classic frame. Like you'd pay $350 for the whole bike and the parts will get $450 alone. Thoughts?

Option 3 is to build the thing as a 10 spd (or 9 spd) retromod wth full, current Veloce, Rival or 105. This is cool but would cost me a good bit to set up and I'm not sure I can recoup my money. If I can build it for $400 more (which will be an extraordinary feat with wheels and shifters the two budget killers), do you think the result could sell for enough to make the effort worthwhile?

Option 4 is to just sell it as is.

So what dya'll think?