View Single Post
Old 09-20-08, 08:47 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
NCR Rail Trail trip report

My wife and I joined another couple in a ride on the Northern Central rail trail from north of Baltimore to York Pennsylvania the other day. It was a very nice, relaxing trip. The trail runs about 41 miles from Hunt Valley, MD to York Pennsylvania. The surface is a mix of packed gravels and stone-dust varying from limestone to old pottery factory shards. It was an excellent surface for our 700/32c's and was OK for our companions' road bikes. We rode out from the Maryland end on Thursday, spent the night in Yorkstown and rode back Friday morning. The trail involves a gradual climb to the midpoint at New Freedom, PA. This makes it ideal for a relaxing ride. You climb the first 20 miles in each direction and then cruise down to the finish on the second half. The trail takes you through beautiful rolling countryside and a number of picturesque railroad towns. On both trips we stopped for lunch at a preserved railroad station in New Freedom. Made for a nice stop. In York, we stayed at the Yorktowne Hotel, a couple of blocks from the trail. the Yorktowne is a nice place, very welcoming to trail riders. They gave us a choice of storing our bikes in their garage or our rooms. We opted for the rooms which were spacious enough to take the bikes without crowding. The hotel restaurant is the home of an "Iron Chef" contestant and was great -- a very pleasant surprise.

I forgot to take my camera but here are a few photos I found out and about on the web.

A train tunnel about five miles from Yorktown:

The former New Freedom Station where we stopped for lunch:

The Yorktowne Hotel:

A random shot along the trail from the trail website: